Empowering Innovation in Civil Engineering Education
As the civil engineering profession evolves, the preparation of tomorrow’s civil engineering professional must change to meet the profession’s future needs. ASCE’s 2019 Civil Engineering Education Summit identified four avenues in which collaborative action could help realize the Summit theme of “Empowered to Innovate”. Collectively, these avenues seek to:
- Speed Innovation through sharing knowledge and experiences.
- Sustain Innovation through periodic conferences and workshops.
- Spread Innovation through engaging industry and related organizations.
- Spark Innovation that integrates justice, equity, diversity and inclusion (JEDI) through initiatives across the profession.
This session will engage participants in exploring possible actions in each of these areas. Examples of innovations in civil engineering education related to each area will help spur discussion in breakout groups, targeted to recommend possible activities that could be pursued in the education community and across the profession.
- Discuss the ongoing need for innovation to meet changing societal expectations and needs and to strengthen the life-long preparation of civil engineers to meet the challenges of the 21st century, such as Smart Cities, using big data, and globalization.
- Stimulate thinking about activities practitioners and educators can undertake in their local professional communities to advance innovation across the profession.
- Think critically concerning your organization’s efforts related to innovation (in general) and commitment to the ongoing education and preparation of the civil engineering workforce.